Maha issues guidelines for borewell construction
Mumbai: Taking serious cognisance of past accidents of children falling into borewells, Maharashtra Government has issued guidelines for its construction.
"The guidelines are issued after the Supreme Court`s directives in the backdrop of number of cases in which children had been trapped and fallen into borewells, tubewells and abandoned wells," an official from Water Supply Department said.
As per the guidelines, it would be mandatory that a person must inform in writing at least 15 days in advance to the authorities concerned in the area about construction of the borewell.
The drilling agency should be registered and a sign board to be put up near construction of the well displaying address of drilling agency and owner of the well, it said.
During the construction, the well should be surrounded by barriers or fencing, it added.
The tube should be covered and abandoned wells should be filled up with clay, boulders and pebbles.
District collector is empowered to verify that the above guidelines are being followed, it said.
A two-year-old boy, who fell into a 50-feet deep borewell died near Beed in Marathwada last month. The rescuers pulled out his body, 20 hours after the incident.
Such cases came into light after a child named Prince was saved after 50 hours of him falling into 60-foot-deep pit four years back at Kurukshetra in Haryana.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference