Maha issues guidelines for borewell construction
Mumbai: Taking serious cognisance of past accidents of children falling into borewells, Maharashtra Government has issued guidelines for its construction.
"The guidelines are issued after the Supreme Court`s directives in the backdrop of number of cases in which children had been trapped and fallen into borewells, tubewells and abandoned wells," an official from Water Supply Department said.
As per the guidelines, it would be mandatory that a person must inform in writing at least 15 days in advance to the authorities concerned in the area about construction of the borewell.
The drilling agency should be registered and a sign board to be put up near construction of the well displaying address of drilling agency and owner of the well, it said.
During the construction, the well should be surrounded by barriers or fencing, it added.
The tube should be covered and abandoned wells should be filled up with clay, boulders and pebbles.
District collector is empowered to verify that the above guidelines are being followed, it said.
A two-year-old boy, who fell into a 50-feet deep borewell died near Beed in Marathwada last month. The rescuers pulled out his body, 20 hours after the incident.
Such cases came into light after a child named Prince was saved after 50 hours of him falling into 60-foot-deep pit four years back at Kurukshetra in Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?