Maha legislators assault cop in Assembly premises
Mumbai: In an unprecedented development, at least half a dozen legislators from various parties allegedly assaulted a police official inside the Maharashtra Assembly complex here Tuesday, officials said.
The victim, Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Suryawanshi was taken to the St. George Hospital where his condition is reported to be "stable".
According to official sources, the legislators belonging to various political parties allegedly pounced on Suryawanshi inside the legislature premises and punched, kicked and slapped him.
The provocation behind the sudden attack is not yet clear.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Home Minister RR Patil, and other ministers were closeted in an emergency meeting to discuss the situation arising out of the legislators` violent behaviour.
Takig a grim view of the attack, state Director-General of Police Sanjeev Dayal, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh and other top police officers rushed to the legislature complex and were scheduled to raise the issue with Chavan and other ministers.
Meanwhile, top leaders of all political parties have condemned the shocking incident and assured action would be taken against their party legislators if they were found involved in the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened