Maha legislators assault cop in Assembly premises
Mumbai: In an unprecedented development, at least half a dozen legislators from various parties allegedly assaulted a police official inside the Maharashtra Assembly complex here Tuesday, officials said.
The victim, Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Suryawanshi was taken to the St. George Hospital where his condition is reported to be "stable".
According to official sources, the legislators belonging to various political parties allegedly pounced on Suryawanshi inside the legislature premises and punched, kicked and slapped him.
The provocation behind the sudden attack is not yet clear.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Home Minister RR Patil, and other ministers were closeted in an emergency meeting to discuss the situation arising out of the legislators` violent behaviour.
Takig a grim view of the attack, state Director-General of Police Sanjeev Dayal, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh and other top police officers rushed to the legislature complex and were scheduled to raise the issue with Chavan and other ministers.
Meanwhile, top leaders of all political parties have condemned the shocking incident and assured action would be taken against their party legislators if they were found involved in the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'