Maha legislators assault cop in Assembly premises
Mumbai: In an unprecedented development, at least half a dozen legislators from various parties allegedly assaulted a police official inside the Maharashtra Assembly complex here Tuesday, officials said.
The victim, Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Suryawanshi was taken to the St. George Hospital where his condition is reported to be "stable".
According to official sources, the legislators belonging to various political parties allegedly pounced on Suryawanshi inside the legislature premises and punched, kicked and slapped him.
The provocation behind the sudden attack is not yet clear.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Home Minister RR Patil, and other ministers were closeted in an emergency meeting to discuss the situation arising out of the legislators` violent behaviour.
Takig a grim view of the attack, state Director-General of Police Sanjeev Dayal, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh and other top police officers rushed to the legislature complex and were scheduled to raise the issue with Chavan and other ministers.
Meanwhile, top leaders of all political parties have condemned the shocking incident and assured action would be taken against their party legislators if they were found involved in the attack.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'