Maha legislature pays tribute to Gujral, Bal Thackeray
Nagpur: Maharashtra legislature today paid tributes to former prime minister Inder Kumar Gujral, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray among other departed leaders on the opening day of the winter session here.
Leader of the House Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan moved the condolence resolution which was seconded by Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse (BJP).
Both the Houses of state legislature also offered condolences to former Union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, ex-Assembly speakers Babasaheb Kupekar and Shankarao Jagtap and 20 other members of the Upper House, besides to Gujaral and Thackeray.
Initiating obituary references, Khadse said "the late Shiv Sena patriarch`s name will go into the annals of history as the leader who gave identity and strength to Marathi manoos in the state to live with dignity and pride".
In his tribute, Subhash Desai of Shiv Sena said Thackeray was a fighter which was evident from the struggle he had to put in for the logo of the party (tiger), its election symbol (bow and arrow) and Marathi newspaper (`Saamana`) he brought out from Mumbai.
Former shiv sainik and MNS leader Bala Nandgaonkar became emotional when he remembered his former mentor while demanding that Thackeray`s portrait be installed in the Assembly Hall like those of national leaders.
Former chief minister Shivajirao Patil Nilangakar also spoke on the motion.
In their tribute ex-shiv sainiks Narayan Rane and Chhagan Bhujbal recalled their association with late Sena chief, saying they owed their current standing to Shiv Sena.
Social Justice Minister Shivajirao Moghe also condoled Thackeray`s death.
The Assembly also mourned the death of Prabhakar Kunte, Shankarrao Kale, Digvijay Khanvilkar, Madanrao Pisal, Laxmanrao Hatankar and Vasant Hoshing (all former Ministers) besides former members Keshavrao Patil, Onkar Wagh, Dulaji Patil, Janardan Walvi, Damuji Tarnekar, Mahadu Barora, Madhav Marathe, Shivajirao Patil, Bhagwantrao Gaikwad, Bhagwatiprasad Pande, Ramchandra Bhoye, Narsinghrao Deshmukh and Kakasaheb Desai.
Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil adjourned the Assembly for the day.
In Legislative Council, Leader of House and deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar (NCP) moved the condolence motion which was seconded by Opposition Leader Vinod Tawde (BJP).
Members Ramdas Kadam, Neelam Gorhe, Narendra Patil, Hemant Takle, Ramesh Shendge, Niranjan Daokhare and Suresh Nawale spoke on the motion.
Tributes were paid to Vitthal Dikonda, Kanhaiyyalal Gidwani and Sadashivrao Shinde in Upper House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in