Maha ministers, officials helped allot Adarsh plot
Mumbai: One of the chief promoters of the
controversial Adarsh Society and former Congress MLC
Kanhaiyalal Gidwani on Tuesday told a judicial panel that his
"relations" with ministers and bureaucrats in the Maharashtra
government helped in allotment of the plot for the high-rise.
"In 1999 I was not MLC but an active member of the Shiv
Sena which was then in power. It will not be incorrect to say
that my good relations with ministers and bureaucrats helped
allotment of plot to Adarsh society," Gidwani told a
two-member inquiry commission.
He also admitted he was aware that the land was in
possession of the local military authority.
"I was not asked by Brig M M Wanchoo or Adarsh Society
promoter R C Thakur to use my good relations with the Ministry
of Defence. I did not write any letter to the defence ministry
in connection with the possession of the land," he said.
Wanchoo and R C Thakur are also accused in the case.
He, however, claimed that he was unaware that the
proposed society was being built to accommodate only the
family members of Kargil war martyrs and widows.
Gidwani, who along with his two sons - Kailash and Amit -
owns three flats in the 31-storey building in south Mumbai,
said he was approached by Thakur and Wanchoo after a plot near
Oyster and Dolphin building in Colaba was first selected for
constructing the high-rise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents