Maha MLAs beat up cop for ‘misbehaving’
Mumbai: Proceedings of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly Tuesday were stalled following the shocking incident where a group of MLAs beat up a policeman for "misbehaving" with fellow legislator Kshitij Thakur.
The House witnessed five adjournments as angry members across all parties demanded the policeman`s suspension and said that without action against him, the House cannot function.
The vehicle of Thakur was allegedly stopped yesterday by Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi, attached to the Worli police station, on the Bandra-Worli sealink when the MLA was on his way to attend the Legislative Assembly session.
Thakur was reportedly fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with Thakur.
This morning, Thakur, who represents the Vasai Assembly constituency moved a breach of privilege notice against Suryavanshi and gave a detailed account of the policeman`s "misbehaviour."
Angered by Thakur`s information, members cutting across party lines demanded the policeman`s suspension. Suryavanshi was seated in the visitor`s gallery at that time.
The House was adjourned for 20 minutes due the uproar as legislators came into the well demanding action against the policeman.
Some of the MLAs saw Suryavanshi in the visitors` gallery making hand gestures looking down at the Assembly members.
Thakur identified the policeman and Ram Kadam (MNS), Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), Kshitij Thakur (Independent), among others, rushed outside the House to catch hold of him and beat him up on the first floor of the Vidhan Bhavan building.
Jaykumar Rawal (BJP) was also seen in the melee.
Later, there were two adjournments of 30 minutes each, upto 3 PM and finally till 5 PM.
Despite Speaker Dilip Walse Patil`s attempts to disallow any discussion on the matter, the members maintained that the proceedings cannot go ahead without action against the policeman.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'