Maha-MP joint irrigation project to come up at Jamghat
Nagpur: Governments of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh on Saturday decided to go ahead with an inter-state irrigation project at Jamghat on Kanhan river in the neighbouring state.
Maharashtra Minister for Water Resources Sunil Tatkare and his Madhya Pradesh counterpart Jayant Malliya decided in-principle to initiate the project in a joint venture.
"While Madhya Pradesh government will construct the project, Maharashtra will bear the cost for the same. A 90 MW Hydel electricity project will also come up at Jamghat and the power generated will go to Madhya Pradesh," Tatkare told a press conference here.
BJP national president Nitin Gadkari, local MLA Davendra Phadanvis and Mayor Anil Sole were also present at the function.
As per the agreement, Maharashtra will receive 10 billion cubic feet of water from the irrigation project, post power generation, between October 15 and June 30 every year, Tatkare said.
While nine billion cubic feet water will be given to Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC), one billion cubic feet of water will be utilised for irrigation purposes, he said.
The inter-state meeting also discussed construction of irrigation dams on Sone and Deva rivers in Madhya Pradesh on the basis of sharing of water and cost.
Next meeting of Jamghat project will be held in Bhopal on September 8 and a detailed project report (DPR) will be prepared later, Tatkare added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list