Maha MPs suggest alternative site for Navi Mumbai airport
New Delhi: As the fate of the proposed Navi
Mumbai airport in Maharashtra hangs in balance, two MPs from
the state have suggested an alternative site for the project
that aims to meet the increasing air traffic need of the city.
Bhiwandi and Palghar MPs Suresh Kashinath Taware
(Congress) and Baliram Jadhav (Bahujan Vikas Aaghadi) have
jointly written a letter to Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh
to consider shifting of the proposed new international airport
(Navi Mumbai airport) to village Nevale in Kalyan district.
Supporting Ramesh`s opposition to proposed Navi Mumbai
airport due to environmental reasons, they said it will lead
to huge ecological costs. They said it will involve monetary
costs of Rs 2340 crore for replanting due to destruction of
nearly 161.5 hectares of mangroves, diversion of two rivers --
Ulwe and Gandhi -- and flattening of two hillocks.
The new airport, to be built over 2000 hectares, has been
planned near Panvel, about 30 kilometres away from Mumbai`s
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and is facing
roadblocks due to environmental reasons.
As an alternative, the Lok Sabha MPs have suggested over
1,700 acres in and around village Nevale in Taluka Kalyan and
Ambarnath as a site for proposed airport and sought its
"This site is located very close to industrial hubs like
Patalganga, Rasayani, Khopoli, Thane MIDC and JNPT Port... it
does not violate any coastal regulation zone (rules)" and
there is no land acquisition issues, they said.
The Environment Ministry is yet to give clearance to the
project and sought social impact assessment report from the
Maharashtra government but have also pointed out that it will
have serious environmental implication and flooding of Panvel
town could be one among them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray