Maha MPs suggest alternative site for Navi Mumbai airport
New Delhi: As the fate of the proposed Navi
Mumbai airport in Maharashtra hangs in balance, two MPs from
the state have suggested an alternative site for the project
that aims to meet the increasing air traffic need of the city.
Bhiwandi and Palghar MPs Suresh Kashinath Taware
(Congress) and Baliram Jadhav (Bahujan Vikas Aaghadi) have
jointly written a letter to Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh
to consider shifting of the proposed new international airport
(Navi Mumbai airport) to village Nevale in Kalyan district.
Supporting Ramesh`s opposition to proposed Navi Mumbai
airport due to environmental reasons, they said it will lead
to huge ecological costs. They said it will involve monetary
costs of Rs 2340 crore for replanting due to destruction of
nearly 161.5 hectares of mangroves, diversion of two rivers --
Ulwe and Gandhi -- and flattening of two hillocks.
The new airport, to be built over 2000 hectares, has been
planned near Panvel, about 30 kilometres away from Mumbai`s
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and is facing
roadblocks due to environmental reasons.
As an alternative, the Lok Sabha MPs have suggested over
1,700 acres in and around village Nevale in Taluka Kalyan and
Ambarnath as a site for proposed airport and sought its
"This site is located very close to industrial hubs like
Patalganga, Rasayani, Khopoli, Thane MIDC and JNPT Port... it
does not violate any coastal regulation zone (rules)" and
there is no land acquisition issues, they said.
The Environment Ministry is yet to give clearance to the
project and sought social impact assessment report from the
Maharashtra government but have also pointed out that it will
have serious environmental implication and flooding of Panvel
town could be one among them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing