Maha okays reconstruction of buildings built upto 1969
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan on Thursday approved reconstruction of all the 19,600 old
buildings constructed upto 1969 here.
The announcement in this regard was made in the
Legislative Council here today by Chavan while replying to a
discussion on Mumbai.
"We are allowing reconstruction of all the old buildings
upto 1969 by changing old laws which would pave way for
reconstruction of 19,600 buildings on the island city," he
The Government has removed reconstruction condition based
on categories of years, he said.
The categories were, A for the buildings built upto 1940,
B for buildings between 1940 to 1950 and C for 1950-1970, he
On regularising slums in the city, Chavan said the state
policy is clear that the slums till 2000 should be regularised
and the matter is pending before the Supreme Court.
The Court had already approved dateline upto 1995.
"We would pursue the matter in the court and if necessary
amend the existing Acts by consulting the Advocate General and
also within the framework of the court`s order," Chavan said.
He also announced audit of lands every two year and
satellite mapping of the lands.
The officials concerned would be held responsible for any
encroachment on the lands and the Government has introduced
bio-metric system for slum dwellers to curb the encroachments,
The Chief Minister has also written to the Prime Minister
over removing encroachments on the lands of the Central
He has suggested Centre to implement Slum Rehabilitation
Scheme on the lands similar to the state Government for
curbing the slums.
Shavian refuted allegations by the opposition members
that Municipal Corporation of Mumbai is not favoured by the
State Government and Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development
Authority (MMRDA) has given more powers for building the
The MMRDA is not a competitor of the BMC but the
supportive agency to build infrastructure in the city, he
The Government has never differentiated between them
while providing funds for the infrastructural works, the Chief
The works of Rs 1,09,687 crore are going on in the city
under the MMRDA including metro rail, monorail, skywalks and
flyovers while BMC has budget deficit of Rs 6,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region