Maha parties for expediting construction of Ambedkar memorial
Nagpur: Ruling Congress and opposition parties in Maharashtra Legislative Council united in their demand on Wednesday for expediting the process of setting up the memorial of B R Ambedkar on the Indu Mills land in Mumbai.
The winter session of Maharashtra legislature is currently underway at Nagpur.
The members also demanded setting up a special authority to expedite the process for constructing the memorial on the 12.5-acre land of now-defunct Indu Mills in Dadar.
The state government is taking over the land after the Centre recently okayed the memorial of dalit icon on the plot owned by the National Textile Corporation of India.
Initiating a discussion under Rule 260, Subhash Chavan, Hemant Takle, Bhai Jagtap (all Congress) and other members sought state funding for the project.
Manikrao Thakre (Congress) said it was a joint effort of all concerned to get the land from the government and hence any individual or organisation should not take the credit for the transfer of the land.
He suggested that a committee be set up under chief minister for the purpose of constructing the memorial.
"While government has already committed to provide necessary funds for the setting up of the memorial, a renowned architect should be appointed as a consultant to prepare a blueprint for the monument," Thakre said.
Subhash Chavan suggested that a statue bigger than that of the `Statue of Liberty` in US be constructed for the dalit icon.
He demanded that a huge library, a research institute dedicated to Ambedkar and a community hall be constructed at the site.
Bhai Girkar of BJP said the government should not dilly-dally the process and come up with the structure at the earliest.
"There should be a university of Pali language on the line of Nalanda and Takshashila," he demanded.
Neelam Gorhe (SS), Jaideeprao Gaikwad, Ashish Shelar and others also spoke on the occasion.
The debate would also continue tomorrow.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way