Maha parties for expediting construction of Ambedkar memorial
Nagpur: Ruling Congress and opposition parties in Maharashtra Legislative Council united in their demand on Wednesday for expediting the process of setting up the memorial of B R Ambedkar on the Indu Mills land in Mumbai.
The winter session of Maharashtra legislature is currently underway at Nagpur.
The members also demanded setting up a special authority to expedite the process for constructing the memorial on the 12.5-acre land of now-defunct Indu Mills in Dadar.
The state government is taking over the land after the Centre recently okayed the memorial of dalit icon on the plot owned by the National Textile Corporation of India.
Initiating a discussion under Rule 260, Subhash Chavan, Hemant Takle, Bhai Jagtap (all Congress) and other members sought state funding for the project.
Manikrao Thakre (Congress) said it was a joint effort of all concerned to get the land from the government and hence any individual or organisation should not take the credit for the transfer of the land.
He suggested that a committee be set up under chief minister for the purpose of constructing the memorial.
"While government has already committed to provide necessary funds for the setting up of the memorial, a renowned architect should be appointed as a consultant to prepare a blueprint for the monument," Thakre said.
Subhash Chavan suggested that a statue bigger than that of the `Statue of Liberty` in US be constructed for the dalit icon.
He demanded that a huge library, a research institute dedicated to Ambedkar and a community hall be constructed at the site.
Bhai Girkar of BJP said the government should not dilly-dally the process and come up with the structure at the earliest.
"There should be a university of Pali language on the line of Nalanda and Takshashila," he demanded.
Neelam Gorhe (SS), Jaideeprao Gaikwad, Ashish Shelar and others also spoke on the occasion.
The debate would also continue tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown