Maha parties for expediting construction of Ambedkar memorial
Nagpur: Ruling Congress and opposition parties in Maharashtra Legislative Council united in their demand on Wednesday for expediting the process of setting up the memorial of B R Ambedkar on the Indu Mills land in Mumbai.
The winter session of Maharashtra legislature is currently underway at Nagpur.
The members also demanded setting up a special authority to expedite the process for constructing the memorial on the 12.5-acre land of now-defunct Indu Mills in Dadar.
The state government is taking over the land after the Centre recently okayed the memorial of dalit icon on the plot owned by the National Textile Corporation of India.
Initiating a discussion under Rule 260, Subhash Chavan, Hemant Takle, Bhai Jagtap (all Congress) and other members sought state funding for the project.
Manikrao Thakre (Congress) said it was a joint effort of all concerned to get the land from the government and hence any individual or organisation should not take the credit for the transfer of the land.
He suggested that a committee be set up under chief minister for the purpose of constructing the memorial.
"While government has already committed to provide necessary funds for the setting up of the memorial, a renowned architect should be appointed as a consultant to prepare a blueprint for the monument," Thakre said.
Subhash Chavan suggested that a statue bigger than that of the `Statue of Liberty` in US be constructed for the dalit icon.
He demanded that a huge library, a research institute dedicated to Ambedkar and a community hall be constructed at the site.
Bhai Girkar of BJP said the government should not dilly-dally the process and come up with the structure at the earliest.
"There should be a university of Pali language on the line of Nalanda and Takshashila," he demanded.
Neelam Gorhe (SS), Jaideeprao Gaikwad, Ashish Shelar and others also spoke on the occasion.
The debate would also continue tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in BMC, but BJP gains lead in Pune