Maha parties slam K`taka CM for statement on Belgaum
Mumbai: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa`s announcement that his government is mulling over giving second capital status to Belgaum has evoked sharp reactions from political parties in Maharashtra.
Maharashtra has been demanding that Marathi speaking areas of Karnataka, including Belgaum, be merged with the state.
Congress, Shiv Sena and NCP have flayed the statement of Yeddyurappa.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said Yeddyurappa was speaking out of turn. "The Maharashtra government`s plea to have Belgaum and Karwar as part of the state is pending before the Supreme Court," he said.
NCP leader and Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal said, "The statement is uncalled for and we will seek legal recourse on the issue."
Sena leader Diwakar Raote said his party would oppose any attempt by the Karnataka government to impose its mandate on lakhs of Marathi-speaking people there (Belgaum).
The boundary dispute between the two states is over half- a-century old. After reorganisation of states, there has been a demand to include Marathi-speaking areas of Karnataka in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!