Maha polls: Prez son`s candidature not discussed at CEC
New Delhi: The issue of candidature of
Rajendra Shekhawat, son of President Pratibha Patil, for the
Maharashtra assembly polls did not come up at the first
meeting of the Central Election Committee (CEC) of the
"Being ticklish, the issue did not come up at the
meeting," Congress sources said after the nearly
four-hour-long meeting in which party chief Sonia Gandhi and
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were also present.
Rajendra alias Raosaheb Shekhawat wants a Congress ticket
from the Amravati constituency in Vidarbha region of the
state, once represented by his father Devisingh Shekhawat.
The seat is currently being held by Maharashtra Minister
of State for Finance Sunil Deshmukh, who won it in 2004 by
over 32,OOO votes.
Sons and daughters of several political leaders are
aspirants for tickets for the October 13 Assembly polls in the
They include Amit Deshmukh, son of Union Minister
Vilasrao Deshmukh, Praneti Shinde, daughter of union minister
Sushil Kumar Shinde, Rahul Thakre, son of PCC chief Manikrao
Thakre, Sagar Meghe, son of party MP Datta Meghe.
Party sources said Congress President herself would have
to take a call on some of these high profile candidatures.
Talk in Congress circle is that the PCC chief has now
withdrawn his son`s candidature and want to contest the polls
himself. Party sources said it was for the high command to
decide whether he can contest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Cricket in America: India-West Indies to play three T20Is in Florida in late August
- My film choices are erratic: Varun Dhawan
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 630—Pragya still loves Abhi, tries to win him back!
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro to be launched today; Is Mi Notebook on the way too?
- Income Tax raid at AAP legislator's residence