Maha relieves 31 police constables from services
In Yavatmal district, there were 174 vacant posts for which 7760 candidates had filed their applications on line of whom 1441 candidates were female.
Yavatmal: In what appears to be an administrative `goof up` on part of the Maharashtra Government, services of as many as 31 trainee police constables from the district stand nullified, while uncertainty looms over continuation of the same for policemen from other districts.
Yavatmal SP Ranjankumar Sharma yesterday discontinued the services of the 31 recruits, appointed last year from various reserved categories against the open category, from their training camp, citing a government resolution (GR) of the Home department dated January 9, 2012.
"In view of the new GR issued by Home department to comply with the apex court directives, I have revised the select list, and 31 constables on training have been sent back home," Sharma said, adding their posts will be filled up from the wait-listed candidates on merit.
Even though the apex court in its 2010 ruling on a petition, challenging the select list and appointment of junior level policemen in Maharashtra, had said that the reserved category candidates should not be appointed against the open category, even though they are qualified and shortlisted, and laid certain guidelines for the recruitment process.
However, the Home department apparently did not make any reference to the supreme court directives while taking out district-wise advertisement for recruitment of police constables for 2011-12 and asked the applicants to proceed with filing applications online.
The recruitment process across the state had begun on November 9, 2011.
In Yavatmal district, there were 174 vacant posts for which 7760 candidates had filed their applications on line of whom 1441 candidates were female. Subsequently, all the posts were filled in and the candidates, both men and women, reported to their training camp sometime in February and have successfully completed their three months training so far.
However, the Home department, citing a GR dated January 9, 2012, instructed all the SPs to follow the SC ruling and revise selection lists, asking them to eliminate the reserved category candidates appointed against the open category.