Maha Secretariat gutted in fire; two dead
Mumbai: The massive blaze which engulfed the Maharashtra State Secretariat building better known as ‘Mantralaya’ in South Mumbai on Thursday claimed the lives of two people, while completely gutting three floors of the 7-storey building.
The fire that erupted around 2.45 pm, continued to rage more than four hours after it was first noticed on the fourth floor near the office of Tribal Welfare Minister Babanrao Pachpute, soon spreading over to the upper floors, aided by the sea breeze.
The fourth floor that houses the Urban Development department, in the eye of the Adarsh scam, and there were apprehensions that vital documents relating to the scandal might have been lost.
Extensive damage was also caused to the offices of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and his deputy Ajit Pawar on the sixth floor.
According to Relief and Rehabilitation Secretary Pravin Pardeshi, 65 people trapped on the fifth and sixth floor have been evacuated by the fire-fighters.
Pardeshi said five persons were injured in the blaze of whom two were admitted to the intensive care unit in serious condition.
Two helicopters of the Indian Navy were pressed into service to evacuate those trapped inside the building but returned without any success as nobody could be found on the terrace of the building in south Mumbai.
Contingents of the anti-terror force-Force One and Quick Response Teams of Mumbai police assisted the fire brigade in trying to bring the blaze under control.
Fire brigade officials said, while the flames in the front part of the Secretariat have been weakened, fire was still raging on the rear side of the building till the report last came in.
Pardeshi said nearly 3000 government employees and as many visitors were removed safely after the blaze started.
Relief and rehabilitation Minister Patangrao Kadam admitted that the government had never anticipated such a major fire at the seat of Maharashtra administration and added that the damage caused to the building would be assessed soon.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy CM Ajit Pawar and Home Minister RR Patil supervised the rescue efforts.
Pardeshi said the fire was first noticed in an electrical fuse and soon a general alarm was sounded across Mantralaya asking people to rush out.
By 3 pm everybody, barring the 65 trapped due to "ballooning" of the smoke, had evacuated, he said.
Those hospitalised included Chief Minister`s Public Relations Officer Satish Lalit, PROs in Deputy CM`s office Vishal Dhage and Sanjay Deshmukh and state Home Minister`s PRO Kishore Gangurde. All of them had inhaled the smoke, he said.
As a precautionary measure electric supply to the building was stopped.
Asked if the Secretariat would remain closed tomorrow, he replied in the negative.
Meanwhile, a Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) official said that fire brigade received the first call informing about the blaze at 2:46 PM, following which 3 fire engines, 2 water tankers, and an ambulance were rushed to the spot.
The injured persons were admitted to various hospitals, including 11 at JJ and St George, 3 at G T and 2 at Nair hospital.
Some of them have suffered suffocation, while others have sustained minor injuries to hands and legs, JJ Hospital dean Dr TP Lahane said.
There were around 2,500 Mantralaya staffers in the building, apart from around 2,000 visitors when the fire broke out.
The Mantralaya building typically houses around 8,000 employees on a normal working day.
Chief Minister Chavan surveyed the building after the fire in the front portion had almost been put out.
He later chaired a top-level meeting in the adjoining new administrative block which was attended among others by the Deputy Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22