Maha Speaker apologises after MLAs thrash cop
Mumbai: Speaker of Maharashtra Assembly, Dilip Walse Patil apologised to members of the House, general public and police after a section of MLAs beat up a cop in the Vidhan Bhavan building Tuesday for allegedly misbehaving with one of the legislators.
"Vidhan Sabha, including MLAs, is an institution and it is our duty as members to uphold its dignity," Walse Patil said after the House re-assembled following a series of adjournments over the issue.
"I apologise to people of the state, police as well as legislators. We are custodians of law. I need to take into account all aspects of the incidents which happened yesterday as well as today in Vidhan Bhavan," the Speaker said.
Walse Patil`s comments came after Independent MLA Sunil Kedar, associated with Congress, Kshitij Thakur (Bahujan Vikas Aghadi), Virendra Jagtap (Congress) demanded that government announce action against Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi, attached to Worli police station, for "misbehaving" with Thakur yesterday.
Suryavanshi had reportedly fined a vehicle carrying Thakur, allegedly for over-speeding on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link yesterday. The Vasai MLA was on his way to attend the Assembly session.
According to Thakur, the API allegedly misbehaved with him after an altercation ensued between them.
After Thakur narrated the incident to the House today, a group of MLAs, cutting across MNS, Shiv Sena and BJP, caught hold of Suryavanshi on the first floor of the building and rained blows on him.
The API who was present in the Visitors Gallery was apparently leaving the building after the House was adjourned for 20 minutes following an uproar over the issue, when he was attacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you