Maha starts eliminating fake school students
Mumbai: To weed out bogus pupils, the Maharashtra government on Monday initiated a drive to verify the number of students on the rolls of aided private and government-run schools, an official said.
The move follows the discovery last month of bogus students on the rolls of some schools, which exploited the `inflated` numbers of pupils to secure more aid from the government.
"The verification drive is being conducted for three days - till October 5 - simultaneously all over Maharashtra to ascertain whether the government grants are being utilised properly or not," the official from the education department said.
The report of the verification drive is expected to be submitted from all district headquarters to the education department by the end of this week.
The education department sleuths are being provided local police security wherever required, but no problems are anticipated, the official added.
The drive comes following a revelation last month that in Nanded district, nearly 20 percent students did not `exist` on the rolls but the schools availed huge grants in their names.
A similar verification campaign has been initiated in Mumbai suburban district where nearly one million students are enrolled in around 1,800 aided private schools.
The grants given to the schools are spent to meet expenses like salaries of teaching and non-teaching staff, building rents and/or maintenance, uniforms, books, stationery, and meals given to the students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report