Maha: Three arrested in Kirnapure murder case
Nagpur: Three persons were arrested in
connection with the murder of engineering student Monica
Kirnapure last month, police said on Monday.
The arrested persons have been remanded in police custody
till April 7, they said.
"The brutal murder of Monica was a contract killing by a
jilted lover, and was indeed a case of mistaken identity as he
wanted to take revenge on another girl," Commissioner of
Police Ankush Dhanvijay said at a press conference here.
One of the arrested persons is Santosh Sonekar from
Hudkeshwar area here, who, police said, was one of the
Monica was stabbed to death on March 11 near her college
in Nandanvan area. The murder evoked sharp reactions from the
locals, and also figured in the ongoing session of State
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil had announced a
reward of Rs one lakh for the information leading to the
Declining to reveal the names of other two accused --
arrested last night -- Dhanvijay however said that Rs one lakh
were paid to the killers after the murder. He also said that
sketches released by police helped to some extent in cracking
The main accused hails from Sawargaon (Katol) and was a
teacher who also ran a shop. He was in love with Monica`s
friend. "We have to collect evidence and need eye witnesses`
help to strengthen the case. Therefore we would not share more
information," the city police chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam