Maha to get 180 judicial officers for fast track courts
Mumbai: Maharashtra will get 180 judicial officers, to help set up more fast track courts, Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said here on Wednesday.
Talking to reporters, Kumar said that the Centre has initiated several new measures to speed up the judicial process and promised all necessary help to state governments.
He said Maharashtra plans 100 fast track courts, out of which 65 are already operational. The state has also decided to set up 16 special courts to try offences against women.
The Centre has sanctioned 10 per cent of the existing strength of judges as additional posts to be created for the subordinate judiciary. These posts will be funded on a sharing basis by the Central and state government, he said.
"To help fill vacancies in fast track courts, 1800 new posts of subordinate judicial officers will be created, out of which 180 posts will be in Maharashtra. Fast track courts have not been able to start functioning due to non-availability of judges," he said, adding that such courts will not only try criminal cases, but also civil cases.
The minister, who reviewed the progress of judicial reforms in Maharashtra, expressed satisfaction on most counts, except utilisation of central funds, which he said, needs to be speeded up.
He said that Maharashtra`s low conviction rate is somewhat "puzzling" and added that a joint study by Central and state governments will be commissioned to ascertain the reasons.
The minister said that the number of pending cases in the state has come down drastically from about 49 lakh in 2010 to 30 lakh in November 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`