Maha to have special police wing to tackle crimes against women
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Wednesday said it will start a dedicated wing of police personnel to tackle cases of violence against women within 15 days.
"A dedicated wing to probe violence against women would be started within 15 days in Mumbai. This wing will be on the lines of the crime branch and economic offences wing," state Home Minister R R Patil told reporters.
This wing will be linked to crime branch and will specifically deal with cases of violence against women registered in police stations.
"In the beginning, the wing will be started at the commissionerate level and thereafter it will work in rural areas," Patil said.
Since the police personnel are busy in law and order duties and regular works, a decision to start a wing to tackle to growing crime against women was taken, the NCP minister said.
Patil said there is a dearth of women police officers, but a large number of women constables are now getting recruited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!