Maha to have special police wing to tackle crimes against women
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Wednesday said it will start a dedicated wing of police personnel to tackle cases of violence against women within 15 days.
"A dedicated wing to probe violence against women would be started within 15 days in Mumbai. This wing will be on the lines of the crime branch and economic offences wing," state Home Minister R R Patil told reporters.
This wing will be linked to crime branch and will specifically deal with cases of violence against women registered in police stations.
"In the beginning, the wing will be started at the commissionerate level and thereafter it will work in rural areas," Patil said.
Since the police personnel are busy in law and order duties and regular works, a decision to start a wing to tackle to growing crime against women was taken, the NCP minister said.
Patil said there is a dearth of women police officers, but a large number of women constables are now getting recruited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore