Maha to launch food security scheme in Dec: Minister
Nagpur: Maharashtra government is all set to roll out the ambitious food security scheme in the state from early December which will benefit about 7.17 crore people, a state minister has said.
This includes 4.70 crore people in the rural areas (76.32 per cent) and 2.30 crore in urban areas (45.34 per cent).
Two new ration cards, besides the existing ones, were being issued to the beneficiaries and as per the new proposed Food Security Act, the woman in the house will be the head of the family instead of man, Maharashtra minister for food and civil supplies Anil Deshmukh told reporters here on Sunday.
Besides, the food and civil supplies, women and child welfare, (integrated child development) and school education (mid day meals) departments will be partners in the implementation of the scheme.
The scheme will provide much needed relief to small children, malnourished children and women, he said.
With the introduction of the new food security scheme, about 7.17 crore population will be benefited as against the present one crore.
The state government will be providing 35 kg of food grains to the cardholders which includes wheat at Rs two and rice at Rs three per kg.
The state will incur an expenditure to the tune of Rs 800 crores per month for implementing the historic scheme, Deshmukh said.
The government was constructing 584 godowns having a capacity of 5.95 lakh metric tonnes to store the food grains, at an estimated cost of Rs 500 crores, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report