Maha to set up chemotherapy centres in rural areas
Mumbai: To fight cancer effectively, the Maharashtra government will set up day care chemotherapy centres in rural parts of the state, Health Minister Suresh Shetty today told the state Legislative Council.
During the first phase, these centres will be opened in seven districts of Vidarbha region.
"We have decided to set up day care chemotherapy centres in rural parts of the state. In the first phase by June this year, these centres will be operational in seven districts of Vidarbha region," Shetty said.
A pilot project in this regard has already been started in Amravati district, he said.
The minister was replying to the issue raised by Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt who said that there were no day care chemotherapy centres in rural areas of Maharashtra.
Also, Dutt and party MLC Subhash Chavan, during Question hour, alleged that the state government has failed to start generic drug stores due to lack of public awareness.
Chavan said that while some states have already started generic drug stores, Maharashtra has failed to implement the scheme launched by the Centre four years ago. He also sought to know the steps taken by the government to implement the scheme.
In reply, Minister of State for Health Fauzia Khan told the House that the health department has started purchasing generic drugs and all government and civic hospitals are being provided these medicines.
"To set up generic medicine stores, the state has sent a proposal to the Centre seeking fund of Rs 57.80 lakh," Khan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video