Maha to slap extortion cases against unauthorised toll workers
Mumbai: Admitting to the presence of "rogue" elements at toll plazas in Maharashtra, Home Minister R R Patil today said such unauthorised workers will be booked for "extortion" if they continue fleecing commuters.
"There are certain errant collectors at toll nakas who harass women and behave rudely with commuters. Those with criminal background should not be recruited at toll plazas. We will slap extortion cases against them if they are found collecting toll from commuters," he said.
Patil was winding up a discussion in the Legislative Council on a calling attention motion moved by Sanjay Patil (NCP), who alleged that he was intercepted and assaulted at Khed-Shivapur toll naka near Pune.
The Home Minister said action will be taken against the managers of toll plazas if they appoint people with criminal past and admitted that similar instances had come to light at various octroi points in the state.
Earlier, members from the Opposition and treasury benches created an uproar over the reply given by Minister of State for PWD Ranjit Kamble following which Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh asked Patil to respond to the concerns of the members.
The issue of collection of duty at toll plazas has generated a lot of heat in the state with Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray even asking people not to pay toll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31