Maha to slap extortion cases against unauthorised toll workers
Mumbai: Admitting to the presence of "rogue" elements at toll plazas in Maharashtra, Home Minister R R Patil today said such unauthorised workers will be booked for "extortion" if they continue fleecing commuters.
"There are certain errant collectors at toll nakas who harass women and behave rudely with commuters. Those with criminal background should not be recruited at toll plazas. We will slap extortion cases against them if they are found collecting toll from commuters," he said.
Patil was winding up a discussion in the Legislative Council on a calling attention motion moved by Sanjay Patil (NCP), who alleged that he was intercepted and assaulted at Khed-Shivapur toll naka near Pune.
The Home Minister said action will be taken against the managers of toll plazas if they appoint people with criminal past and admitted that similar instances had come to light at various octroi points in the state.
Earlier, members from the Opposition and treasury benches created an uproar over the reply given by Minister of State for PWD Ranjit Kamble following which Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh asked Patil to respond to the concerns of the members.
The issue of collection of duty at toll plazas has generated a lot of heat in the state with Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray even asking people not to pay toll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?