Maha Transport Ministry launches toll free number
Mumbai: In order to provide better services,
Maharashtra Transport Ministry today launched a toll-free
number for registering complaints and registration of
"The department has undertaken initiatives like toll-free
number, e-payment services where dealers can register there
vehicles online," Chief Minister Ashok Chavan told reporters
Chavan said a welfare board will be set for the rickshaw
and taxi drivers. "As these drivers have a poor family
background, the board will look into matters like insurance
and mediclaim for the drivers," he added.
The transport department has launched a toll-free number
1800-220-110 where commuters can register complaints about
auto and taxi drivers.
"Commuters will be required to explain their complaint
and quote the taxi/auto rickshaw number following which the
action will be taken against drivers. For the first time they
would be given a warning, second time there license will be
revoked temporarily and thereafter permanently," Minister for
Transport Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil said.
"As technology has evolved, the department will also
adopt the e-payment system like other countries. Instead of
queuing up for registering their vehicles at transport
offices, dealers can register it online and make the
e-payment. Later, car owners can also avail to this facility,"
The minister informed that under the existing system
the vehicle dealers have to approach the transport office for
registration and the process takes a couple of days but with
the new system it will be easier for them.
Vikhe-Patil also said vehicles will have to install
Global Positioning System (GPS). "Tenders will be in place for
it by end of August. The system will be placed in both old and
new taxis," he said.
"A new fleet of taxis will ply on the city roads. The
tenders for new fleet of taxis will be opened soon. Also, we
would replace the old black-yellow taxis with new colours,"
We haven`t decided about the new colour for taxis but
the yellow colour will remain as it is a symbol of the
transport department. We have options like brown-yellow and
sky blue-yellow," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Watch video: Zeus the husky throws the most priceless tantrum; refuses get off the couch!
- Five killed as boiler bursts in private chemical company in Dombivli township
- HRD Ministry directs UGC to amend regulations regarding workload of teachers
- PM Modi-led govt completes two years; Facebook tracks his journey on social media
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two +2 Class 12th Exams Results 2016 is likely to be declared today on May 27 - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in