Maha Transport Ministry launches toll free number
Mumbai: In order to provide better services,
Maharashtra Transport Ministry today launched a toll-free
number for registering complaints and registration of
"The department has undertaken initiatives like toll-free
number, e-payment services where dealers can register there
vehicles online," Chief Minister Ashok Chavan told reporters
Chavan said a welfare board will be set for the rickshaw
and taxi drivers. "As these drivers have a poor family
background, the board will look into matters like insurance
and mediclaim for the drivers," he added.
The transport department has launched a toll-free number
1800-220-110 where commuters can register complaints about
auto and taxi drivers.
"Commuters will be required to explain their complaint
and quote the taxi/auto rickshaw number following which the
action will be taken against drivers. For the first time they
would be given a warning, second time there license will be
revoked temporarily and thereafter permanently," Minister for
Transport Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil said.
"As technology has evolved, the department will also
adopt the e-payment system like other countries. Instead of
queuing up for registering their vehicles at transport
offices, dealers can register it online and make the
e-payment. Later, car owners can also avail to this facility,"
The minister informed that under the existing system
the vehicle dealers have to approach the transport office for
registration and the process takes a couple of days but with
the new system it will be easier for them.
Vikhe-Patil also said vehicles will have to install
Global Positioning System (GPS). "Tenders will be in place for
it by end of August. The system will be placed in both old and
new taxis," he said.
"A new fleet of taxis will ply on the city roads. The
tenders for new fleet of taxis will be opened soon. Also, we
would replace the old black-yellow taxis with new colours,"
We haven`t decided about the new colour for taxis but
the yellow colour will remain as it is a symbol of the
transport department. We have options like brown-yellow and
sky blue-yellow," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray