Maha Transport Ministry launches toll free number
Mumbai: In order to provide better services,
Maharashtra Transport Ministry today launched a toll-free
number for registering complaints and registration of
"The department has undertaken initiatives like toll-free
number, e-payment services where dealers can register there
vehicles online," Chief Minister Ashok Chavan told reporters
Chavan said a welfare board will be set for the rickshaw
and taxi drivers. "As these drivers have a poor family
background, the board will look into matters like insurance
and mediclaim for the drivers," he added.
The transport department has launched a toll-free number
1800-220-110 where commuters can register complaints about
auto and taxi drivers.
"Commuters will be required to explain their complaint
and quote the taxi/auto rickshaw number following which the
action will be taken against drivers. For the first time they
would be given a warning, second time there license will be
revoked temporarily and thereafter permanently," Minister for
Transport Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil said.
"As technology has evolved, the department will also
adopt the e-payment system like other countries. Instead of
queuing up for registering their vehicles at transport
offices, dealers can register it online and make the
e-payment. Later, car owners can also avail to this facility,"
The minister informed that under the existing system
the vehicle dealers have to approach the transport office for
registration and the process takes a couple of days but with
the new system it will be easier for them.
Vikhe-Patil also said vehicles will have to install
Global Positioning System (GPS). "Tenders will be in place for
it by end of August. The system will be placed in both old and
new taxis," he said.
"A new fleet of taxis will ply on the city roads. The
tenders for new fleet of taxis will be opened soon. Also, we
would replace the old black-yellow taxis with new colours,"
We haven`t decided about the new colour for taxis but
the yellow colour will remain as it is a symbol of the
transport department. We have options like brown-yellow and
sky blue-yellow," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!