Maha yet to decide whether to appeal Sharma`s acquittal
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Monday informed the Bombay High Court that it would take another three weeks to decide whether an appeal should be filed against the acquittal of former `encounter specialist` Pradeep Sharma in the Ramnarayan Gupta encounter case.
Additional public prosecutor Hitendra Dedhia told the division bench of justices P V Hardas and P N Deshmukh that the Law and Judiciary department was studying the case documents. "Decision would be taken within three weeks on whether or not an appeal would be filed," he said.
The bench was hearing an appeal filed by Ramnarayan`s brother, advocate Ramprasad Gupta, challenging Sharma`s acquittal. At the hearing two weeks ago HC had asked the government if an appeal would be filed.
Meanwhile, nine out of the 21 convicts have filed their appeals. One of them is a policeman: constable Vinayak Shinde.
The sessions court last month convicted 21 people including 13 policemen and sentenced them to life imprisonment on the charges of murder and conspiracy in Gupta encounter case. Sharma was, however, acquitted for lack of evidence.
On November 11, 2006, a police team picked up Ramprasad Gupta, an alleged aide of gangster Chhota Rajan, from neighbouring Vashi. He was killed in a fake encounter later in the day.
According to the prosecution, he was killed at the behest of a builder, a business rival, who had approached Sharma for this purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears