Maharahstra: 7 tonnes ammonium nitrate seized
Kolhapur: The Kolhapur district police on Saturday seized nearly seven tonnes of ammonium nitrate and 50 electronic detonators - two key ingredients for making explosives - and nabbed two people, a police official said.
Acting on a tip-off, police swooped down on a warehouse on the outskirts of the town and found 6.90 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, according to police chief Yashasvi Yadav.
Yadav said 50 electronic detonators were transported here from Sangli in a Tata Indica car without valid license or documents.
"As per our investigations, the ammonium nitrate and detonators have been brought here from Sangli. We have arrested two people, including the warehouse owner," Yadav said.
He said that the intended destination or the purpose of the huge quantity of explosive chemicals was also being probed in view of the current circumstances, but declined to speculate on the name of any group which could be involved in the matter.
Incidentally, Sangli, from where the police say the ammonium nitrate was brought to Kolhapur, is the home district of state home minister RR Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok