Maharahstra: 7 tonnes ammonium nitrate seized
Kolhapur: The Kolhapur district police on Saturday seized nearly seven tonnes of ammonium nitrate and 50 electronic detonators - two key ingredients for making explosives - and nabbed two people, a police official said.
Acting on a tip-off, police swooped down on a warehouse on the outskirts of the town and found 6.90 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, according to police chief Yashasvi Yadav.
Yadav said 50 electronic detonators were transported here from Sangli in a Tata Indica car without valid license or documents.
"As per our investigations, the ammonium nitrate and detonators have been brought here from Sangli. We have arrested two people, including the warehouse owner," Yadav said.
He said that the intended destination or the purpose of the huge quantity of explosive chemicals was also being probed in view of the current circumstances, but declined to speculate on the name of any group which could be involved in the matter.
Incidentally, Sangli, from where the police say the ammonium nitrate was brought to Kolhapur, is the home district of state home minister RR Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP