Maharashtra: 2 killed, 225 injured in `dahi handi` celebrations
Mumbai: Janmashtami celebrations in Maharashtra were on Friday marred by the death of two persons, part of the `dahi handi` troupes called `Govindas`.
In Thane, 35-year-old Deepak Tupe, who belonged to the Hanuman Mandal in Kurla, died at Pachpakhadi after falling off the human pyramid and suffocation.
In Dighi village of Raigad district, a 19-year-old died after falling off a pyramid.
In Mumbai, 225 persons were injured during the celebrations, sources in the civic body said.
The condition of a 22-year-old govinda, who sustained burns after falling on an overhead electric cable is serious, sources said.
MNS group leader in state assembly Bala Nandgaonkar shared the stage at the `dahi handi` function organised by Shiv Sena MLA Pratap Sarnaik.
At Sarnaik`s celebration in Vartaknagar in Thane, the Jai Jawan Mandal successfully created a 43.79 feet high human pyramid and was given a certificate by the Guinness Book of World Records` representative.
In Worli, actor Hrithik Roshan and Congress minister Narayan Rane were among those present at the dahi handi organised by NCP minister Sachin Ahir.
In Thane, a govinda troupe completed a nine-layer human pyramid. In Mumbai, an 81-year old woman was also a part of the all-woman group which set out to break the dahi handi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof