Maharashtra: 24 killed as bus plunges into river
Akola: Twenty-four passengers were killed and over 30 injured, some of them seriously, when a state transport bus fell into Purna river in Maharashtra`s Buldhana district Wednesday, police said.
The mishap took place around noon in Sangrampur taluka when the overcrowded bus plunged into the river while crossing the old Khiroda bridge, they said.
The bus carrying more than 60 passengers, mostly students, was on its way to Paturda village near here when the accident occurred, they said.
All the bodies including that of V K Daberao (driver) extricated from the bus, have been kept at the Saibai Mote hospital in Shegaon (Buldhana) for identification.
The injured were admitted to Akola General hospital, police said.
The bus was pulled out of the river with the help of two cranes.
Some of the passengers are reported to be missing, police said.
Hundreds of people from nearby Paturda, Alasna, Kalamkhed, Warwat, Bakal and Jastgaon villages gathered at the accident spot and helped the authorities in the rescue work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY