Maharashtra: 24 killed as bus plunges into river
Akola: Twenty-four passengers were killed and over 30 injured, some of them seriously, when a state transport bus fell into Purna river in Maharashtra`s Buldhana district Wednesday, police said.
The mishap took place around noon in Sangrampur taluka when the overcrowded bus plunged into the river while crossing the old Khiroda bridge, they said.
The bus carrying more than 60 passengers, mostly students, was on its way to Paturda village near here when the accident occurred, they said.
All the bodies including that of V K Daberao (driver) extricated from the bus, have been kept at the Saibai Mote hospital in Shegaon (Buldhana) for identification.
The injured were admitted to Akola General hospital, police said.
The bus was pulled out of the river with the help of two cranes.
Some of the passengers are reported to be missing, police said.
Hundreds of people from nearby Paturda, Alasna, Kalamkhed, Warwat, Bakal and Jastgaon villages gathered at the accident spot and helped the authorities in the rescue work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why