Maharashtra announces Rs 2685cr package to tackle scarcity
Mumbai: Concerned over poor rainfall, Maharashtra Government today announced a Rs 2,685-crore package to tackle scarcity conditions in the coming months in the state.
Announcing the package while replying to a debate on drought in the Legislative Assembly, Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Patangrao Kadam said the funds would be utilised for irrigation, agriculture, water conservation and recharging of wells, among other things.
Out of the package, Rs 300 crore will go towards irrigation projects in Vidarbha, rural employment guarantee scheme (NREGA) works for water storage in scarcity-hit areas, and Rs 500 crore for seeds and fertilisers in rabbi season.
A sum of Rs 60 crore will be used for strengthening water sources, Rs 600 crore for micro irrigation projects, Rs 100 crore for Mahatma Phule Jal Abhiyan (water conservation), Rs 100 crore for concessions on interest for reconstituted loans under the Punjabrao Deshmukh Scheme and Rs 500 crore for water shed management, Kadam said.
He said if the trend of scanty rains continue, 100 talukas and 15,000 villages may be affected. The state has experienced only 79 per cent rainfall so far. Last year, despite 102 per cent rainfall, more than 7,500 villages were declared scarcity affected.
Kadam said if the situation does not improve in the next two months, one third of Maharashtra may face drought- like conditions.
Opposition accused the Government of regional bias and said it neglected backward areas like Vidarbha, Marathwada and North Maharashtra. "Was the drought only in Western Maharashtra (a relatively developed region). Why no no fodder camps were set up in other regions?," Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse asked.
To which, the Minister said there was no such demand from other districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'