Maharashtra Assembly adjourned for third day
Mumbai: Maharashtra Assembly was adjourned for the third day on Wednesday over Deputy CM Ajit Pawar`s remarks on loadshedding and drought, with Opposition questioning the absence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in the House and demanding his apology.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshvardhan Patil rejected the demand saying Pawar had already apologised on the floor of the House as well as before the media over his remarks. "The matter should end now. There is no need for the Chief Minister to apologise," he said.
On the Opposition`s demand to extend the budget session by another week, Patil said, "The time available on hand is being wasted. What is the need for extending the session?"
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse wondered why Chavan was staying away from the House when he had agreed to make a statement tendering an apology. "Under whose pressure is he to backtrack from his assurance," Khadse asked.
He said Chavan was the leader of the House and it was his responsibility to ensure that the proceedings go smoothly.
Dilip Sopal (independent) said, "The Opposition should have a large heart and accept the (Ajit Pawar`s) apology. There is lot of business in the House to be transacted".
Shashikant Shinde (NCP) said Ajit Pawar has apologised, "But, MNS president Raj Thackeray is making derogatory comments about women from the drought-affected areas," to which the MNS members objected and rushed into the well.
Speaker Dilip Walse Patil then rushed through the business of the day amid the din before adjourning the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3