Maharashtra Assembly adjourned for third day
Mumbai: Maharashtra Assembly was adjourned for the third day on Wednesday over Deputy CM Ajit Pawar`s remarks on loadshedding and drought, with Opposition questioning the absence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in the House and demanding his apology.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshvardhan Patil rejected the demand saying Pawar had already apologised on the floor of the House as well as before the media over his remarks. "The matter should end now. There is no need for the Chief Minister to apologise," he said.
On the Opposition`s demand to extend the budget session by another week, Patil said, "The time available on hand is being wasted. What is the need for extending the session?"
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse wondered why Chavan was staying away from the House when he had agreed to make a statement tendering an apology. "Under whose pressure is he to backtrack from his assurance," Khadse asked.
He said Chavan was the leader of the House and it was his responsibility to ensure that the proceedings go smoothly.
Dilip Sopal (independent) said, "The Opposition should have a large heart and accept the (Ajit Pawar`s) apology. There is lot of business in the House to be transacted".
Shashikant Shinde (NCP) said Ajit Pawar has apologised, "But, MNS president Raj Thackeray is making derogatory comments about women from the drought-affected areas," to which the MNS members objected and rushed into the well.
Speaker Dilip Walse Patil then rushed through the business of the day amid the din before adjourning the House for the day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed