Maharashtra Assembly adjourned for third day
Mumbai: Maharashtra Assembly was adjourned for the third day on Wednesday over Deputy CM Ajit Pawar`s remarks on loadshedding and drought, with Opposition questioning the absence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in the House and demanding his apology.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshvardhan Patil rejected the demand saying Pawar had already apologised on the floor of the House as well as before the media over his remarks. "The matter should end now. There is no need for the Chief Minister to apologise," he said.
On the Opposition`s demand to extend the budget session by another week, Patil said, "The time available on hand is being wasted. What is the need for extending the session?"
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse wondered why Chavan was staying away from the House when he had agreed to make a statement tendering an apology. "Under whose pressure is he to backtrack from his assurance," Khadse asked.
He said Chavan was the leader of the House and it was his responsibility to ensure that the proceedings go smoothly.
Dilip Sopal (independent) said, "The Opposition should have a large heart and accept the (Ajit Pawar`s) apology. There is lot of business in the House to be transacted".
Shashikant Shinde (NCP) said Ajit Pawar has apologised, "But, MNS president Raj Thackeray is making derogatory comments about women from the drought-affected areas," to which the MNS members objected and rushed into the well.
Speaker Dilip Walse Patil then rushed through the business of the day amid the din before adjourning the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli