Maharashtra Assembly passes Appropriation Bill
Mumbai: High drama was witnessed in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly on Tuesday when the opposition combine of BJP and Shiv Sena sought a division of vote at the consideration stage of Appropriation Bill.
After the bill was passed by a voice vote, Speaker Dilip Walse Patil accepted Opposition`s demand for a division of vote and called for a head count.
The bill was passed with 105 members voting in its favour and 72 opposing it.
"Next time, we demand a poll...It should be accepted immediately," said Leader of Opposition in Legislative Assembly Eknath Khadse.
An appropriation bill is a legislative motion (bill) which authorises the government to spend money.
Walse Patil, who was in the Chair when the bill was passed by a majority vote, said as per the legislative rules, all budgetary demands have been approved by the House and hence the motion for passage of Appropriation Bill can not be opposed.
"New precedent should not be set," the Speaker said, adding that the government should consider the demands of the Opposition legislators.
After the bill was passed, Khadse said the Opposition succeeded in "exposing" the government.
"This government is so insensitive that it did not consider the Speaker`s request to consider the Opposition`s demands," the BJP leader said.
Earlier, when Presiding Officer Nawab Malik (NCP) was in the Chair, Khadse lamented that undue time was being wasted to enable the treasury benches to come to the house.
"Next time, we demand a poll, it should be accepted immediately," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them