Maharashtra ATS arrests two female naxal cadres
Mumbai: Two suspected female naxal cadres,
including wife of the Maharashtra CPI (Maoist) committee
secretary, were arrested from two cities of Thane and Pune
under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, the
Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) said on wednesday.
Angela Sontakke (42), an alleged member and wife of Milind
Teltumbde, secretary of Maharashra`s CPI (Maoist) committee,
was nabbed with Rs 1.54 lakh in her possession from Talaopadi
area in Thane on Monday, the ATS officials said.
Later, her aide Sushma Ramteke (27) was held from Pune on
charges of being instrumental in setting up a naxal base as
part of the `Golden Corridor Committee`, said Rakesh Maria,
Maharashtra ATS chief.
Sontakke was also working as a secretary for the `Golden
Corridor Committee` formed in February 2008 in order to spread
naxal ideology in Surat, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Thane and Pune
among students and labourers, he said.
The duo was arrested under relevant sections of the
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and remanded in police
custody till May 3, Maria said.
During the search conducted at Ramteke`s rented house in
Pune, literature on naxalism, laptops, CDs, audio and video
tapes, press notes and cash of Rs 3 lakh were found, the ATS
During the interrogation it was learnt that Sontakke, who
has been staying Pune since 2008, has at least 20 offences
registered against her, including UAPA cases registered by the
Maharashtra ATS and Godia police.
Sontakke was also an active participant in Feb 2009 naxal
attack in which fifteen policemen including a young police
sub-inspector were killed in cross firing in Gadchiroli
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Ranbir Kapoor's superhero dreams shattered?
- Make PM Narendra Modi's educational qualification public; people want to know truth: Arvind Kejriwal
- PM Narendra Modi takes his place alongside other world leaders at Madame Tussauds
- Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Bhavesh Patel among highest paid CEOs in world
- Oh fresh! You can't afford to miss these pictures from Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's pooja ceremony