Maharashtra ATS chief, six others under CBI lens
Mumbai: Maharashtra`s ATS chief Rakesh Maria
and six senior IPS officers will face a CBI probe for
allegedly shielding a fellow police official, who was accused
of clearing his law exam, without appearing for practical
exam, the Bombay High Court ordered on Monday.
The High Court directed the CBI to probe the allegation
made by a petitioner against the police officers and submit
its report within three months.
According to Chitra Salunkhe, former vice principal of
Siddharth Law College, K L Bishnoi, a 1985 batch IPS officer,
cleared his final year LLB examination, with the help of the
then acting principal I A Inamdar, without actually appearing
for the practical examination held on March 12, 2005.
Salunkhe had lodged complaints against the duo and acting
on her complaint, the seven IPS officers had conducted an
Apart from Maria, the officers, who now face CBI probe,
are Additional Director Generals of Police Pankaj Gupta and
Mohan Rathod, Additional Commissioner of Police Sanjay Saxena
and three Deputy Commissioners of Police - Naval Bajaj,
Brijesh Singh and Vishwas Nangre-Patil.
Salunkhe had approached the High Court alleging that
all the seven IPS officers had submitted false reports to
their superiors in order to shield Bishnoi.
The petitioner said she had lodged a complaint on
February 10, 2010 with DGP Maharashtra seeking action against
the IPS officers but no action has been taken on it for two
She alleged the inaction was only because all of them are
senior IPS officers, and, therefore, she demanded a CBI probe.
A division bench of Justices V M Kanade and P D Kode
ordered a CBI probe into the case and said, "In our view, it
is the duty of a police officer to look into allegations and
promptly conduct an inquiry and not to sit on complaints and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test