Maharashtra ATS officer was drunk when he shot self
Mumbai: The deputy commissioner of police (DCP) attached to the Maharashtra anti-terrorism squad (ATS) who shot himself at a restaurant in Thane on Saturday was allegedly drunk when he pulled the trigger on himself.
Sources from the Kapurbavdi police claim that Sanjay Banerjee had already downed five pegs of an alcoholic drink at home earlier that day. “At the restaurant, he took another three to four pegs,” says a police officer monitoring the investigation.
Although he admits that the police are yet to find the motive behind the suicide, the officer rules out the possibility that a financial crunch pushed him over the edge. Banerjee was one of the DCPs who haven’t received their salaries for several months now as the home department is yet to sanction their posts in the ATS.
“True that the family said he hadn’t got his salary in a long time, but there were no major financial problems which would have forced him to take such a drastic step. He had no problems in his married life and he was well-settled,” claims the Kapurbavdi police officer.
But Banerjee’s family alleges that it was work pressure that got to him.
Thane police commissioner KP Raghuvanshi says Banerjee’s mobile phone records have not yielded any clue. “We are yet to talk to his family at length.” He confirms that the DCP had consumed alcohol at home and at the restaurant.
Banerjee shot himself in the right temple with personal licensed 9mm pistol at 4.10 pm on Saturday after he, his wife and two children, aged 14 and 7, had just finished lunch. No other diners were present at the time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India