Maharashtra bans gutkha, paan masala
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Wednesday announced a ban on the production, sale, distribution and storage of gutkha and paan masala in the state.
The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, sources said.
The ban on gutkha and paan masala (both flavoured tobacco-based products) will result in revenue loss of Rs 100 crore per year for the state exchequer, but the decision has been taken in larger public interest, they said.
Maharashtra has joined a handful of states, among them Kerala and Madhya Pradesh, to ban gutkha, blamed for oral diseases such as cancer.
Maharashtra had imposed a ban on the two products in 2002 and 2008 also but the decision could not pass legal scrutiny.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit
- Struggles never end in life, says Quantico star Priyanka Chopra
- India vs West Indies: List of records broken by Virat Kohli & Co during thumping win in 1st Test
- 2nd conviction in coal scam: Court convicts RSPL, 3 top officials
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 629—Abhi ends his relationship with Pragya!