Maharashtra bans gutkha, paan masala
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Wednesday announced a ban on the production, sale, distribution and storage of gutkha and paan masala in the state.
The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, sources said.
The ban on gutkha and paan masala (both flavoured tobacco-based products) will result in revenue loss of Rs 100 crore per year for the state exchequer, but the decision has been taken in larger public interest, they said.
Maharashtra has joined a handful of states, among them Kerala and Madhya Pradesh, to ban gutkha, blamed for oral diseases such as cancer.
Maharashtra had imposed a ban on the two products in 2002 and 2008 also but the decision could not pass legal scrutiny.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact