Maharashtra bans gutkha, paan masala
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Wednesday announced a ban on the production, sale, distribution and storage of gutkha and paan masala in the state.
The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, sources said.
The ban on gutkha and paan masala (both flavoured tobacco-based products) will result in revenue loss of Rs 100 crore per year for the state exchequer, but the decision has been taken in larger public interest, they said.
Maharashtra has joined a handful of states, among them Kerala and Madhya Pradesh, to ban gutkha, blamed for oral diseases such as cancer.
Maharashtra had imposed a ban on the two products in 2002 and 2008 also but the decision could not pass legal scrutiny.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested