Maharashtra BJP dismisses Damania`s allegations
Mumbai: Dismissing the allegations of RTI activist Anjali Damania, Maharashtra BJP on Thursday said it had been consistently raising the issue of corruption in the state irrigation projects in the state Assembly.
Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in Assembly Eknath Khadse said here that his party was in fact working with Damania to expose the irrigation scams.
"We have been consistently raising the issue of irregularities in Gosikhurd irrigation project, in Kondhane and elsewhere," Khadse said.
BJP first raised the issue in 2007, he said, rubbishing the claim by India Against Corruption that opposition in Maharashtra was not much enthusiastic about taking up the issue.
"The Vadnere and Mendgiri Committees were set up by the state government (to inquire into alleged irregularities) on my insistence," he said.
Damania, a member of IAC, alleged yesterday that when she met BJP president Nitin Gadkari -- who hails from Maharashtra -- with regard to corruption in irrigation projects in the state, he said he would not get invovled, as he had a business relationship with NCP supremo Sharad Pawar.
Gadkari has denied that she had met him.
Pawar`s nephew Ajit Pawar, who held the irrigation portfolio for a long time, has put in his papers following allegations of scams in the sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her