Maharashtra BJP dismisses Damania`s allegations
Mumbai: Dismissing the allegations of RTI activist Anjali Damania, Maharashtra BJP on Thursday said it had been consistently raising the issue of corruption in the state irrigation projects in the state Assembly.
Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in Assembly Eknath Khadse said here that his party was in fact working with Damania to expose the irrigation scams.
"We have been consistently raising the issue of irregularities in Gosikhurd irrigation project, in Kondhane and elsewhere," Khadse said.
BJP first raised the issue in 2007, he said, rubbishing the claim by India Against Corruption that opposition in Maharashtra was not much enthusiastic about taking up the issue.
"The Vadnere and Mendgiri Committees were set up by the state government (to inquire into alleged irregularities) on my insistence," he said.
Damania, a member of IAC, alleged yesterday that when she met BJP president Nitin Gadkari -- who hails from Maharashtra -- with regard to corruption in irrigation projects in the state, he said he would not get invovled, as he had a business relationship with NCP supremo Sharad Pawar.
Gadkari has denied that she had met him.
Pawar`s nephew Ajit Pawar, who held the irrigation portfolio for a long time, has put in his papers following allegations of scams in the sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days