Maharashtra BJP dismisses Damania`s allegations
Mumbai: Dismissing the allegations of RTI activist Anjali Damania, Maharashtra BJP on Thursday said it had been consistently raising the issue of corruption in the state irrigation projects in the state Assembly.
Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in Assembly Eknath Khadse said here that his party was in fact working with Damania to expose the irrigation scams.
"We have been consistently raising the issue of irregularities in Gosikhurd irrigation project, in Kondhane and elsewhere," Khadse said.
BJP first raised the issue in 2007, he said, rubbishing the claim by India Against Corruption that opposition in Maharashtra was not much enthusiastic about taking up the issue.
"The Vadnere and Mendgiri Committees were set up by the state government (to inquire into alleged irregularities) on my insistence," he said.
Damania, a member of IAC, alleged yesterday that when she met BJP president Nitin Gadkari -- who hails from Maharashtra -- with regard to corruption in irrigation projects in the state, he said he would not get invovled, as he had a business relationship with NCP supremo Sharad Pawar.
Gadkari has denied that she had met him.
Pawar`s nephew Ajit Pawar, who held the irrigation portfolio for a long time, has put in his papers following allegations of scams in the sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie