Maharashtra BJP finalising 2nd list of candidates for LS polls
Mumbai: BJP in Maharashtra on Friday began the process of finalising its second list of candidates for the Lok Sabha elections.
Even though no names were finalised, party sources said senior leader Kirit Somaiya and Yuva Morcha leader Poonam Mahajan were in the running for Mumbai North East, while Gopal Shetty and Hemendra Mehta for Mumbai North parliamentary constituencies in Mumbai.
Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Assembly Eknath Khadse, his counterpart in the council Vinod Tawde, senior leaders Sudhir Mungantiwar, Pandurang Phundkar, Mumbai BJP president Ashish Shelar and Atul Bhatkalkar were prominent among those present at the meeting, which was chaired by state unit chief Devendra Fadnavis.
The 15 seats are Pune, Baramati, Mumbai North, Mumbai North East, Mumbai North Central, Latur, Wardha, Nanded, Ahmednagar, Palghar, Bhiwandi, Solapur, Sangli, Dhule and Nandurbar.
A team of observers comprising Tawde, Khadse and Mungantiwar had toured the 15 constituencies in the last few days, interviewed aspiring candidates, discussed political situation in the constituencies and party strategy.
Tawde told reporters that that party leaders will meet again next week to take a final decision on the list of candidates to be forwarded to the central parliamentary board.
Raju Shetty`s Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghtana and Mahadev Jamkar`s Rashtriya Samaj Party, both new allies of BJP, are staking claim for the Maadha Lok Sabha seat. Jamkar had contested the 2009 poll against Sharad Pawar.
The party has already finalised its list of candidates for 10 seats, including Gopinath Munde for Beed and Nitin Gadkari for Nagpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH