Maharashtra BSP chief roughed up by party workers
Nagpur: Bahujan Samaj Party`s Maharashtra unit chief Vilas Garud was on Monday manhandled by party workers who accused him of corruption in selecting party candidates for the recent civic elections, police said.
Garud, considered party chief and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati`s key person in Maharashtra, has been spearheading the BSP`s influence in the state over the past few years.
At a party meeting called to discuss the BSP`s performance in the Nagpur Municipal Corporation elections, several angry workers questioned the manner in which unsuitable candidates were selected while deserving hopefuls were ignored.
Even as Garud and others attempted to mollify the angry activists, a few of them, including some women, pounced on him, attempted to slap him and pushed him around.
The BSP bagged 12 seats in the Nagpur Municipal Corporation though it had the potential to bag at least 30 if proper candidates were selected, claimed the angry activists. They included a prominent contender and senior BSP leader Nanda Naik.
Police immediately stepped in and managed to control the situation, detaining three people in connection with the incident.
Later, speaking to media persons, Garud denied the tickets-for-cash allegations levelled by party workers.
"It is not possible to please everyone during elections... the party activists must understand this and not make such allegations," Garud said.
In an attempt to strengthen its base in Maharashtra, the BSP has been regularly contesting local, civic and state elections for over a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?