Maharashtra budget 2013: Ciggies, liquor, cosmetics to cost more
Mumbai: With large parts of Maharashtra reeling under severe drought, the state Budget presented today proposed hike in taxes on cigarette, tobacco, liquor, cosmetics and jewellery to mop up additional resources to fund relief efforts and meet the state`s development needs.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who holds the finance portfolio, presented a Rs 184.38 crore surplus budget that seeks to net an additional Rs 1150 crore through increase in taxes.
Presenting the budget proposals in the Legislative Assembly, Pawar said tax on cigarette will be raised from 20 per cent to 25 per cent and bidi from 5 per cent to 12.5 per cent. While 12.5 per cent tax on branded tobacco sold in pouches will remain unchanged, unmanufactured tobacco, which is hitherto tax free, would be taxed at 12.5 per cent.
The Minister also announced increase in excise duty on country liquor, Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) and strong beer.
Excise duty on country liquor has been raised from Rs 95 to Rs 110 Per Proof Litre (PPL), while on IMFL it has been hiked from Rs 240 to Rs 300 PPL.
Duty on strong beer has been raised from Rs 42 per bulk litre or 175 per cent of manufacturing cost whichever is higher, to Rs 60 per bulk litre or 200 per cent of the manufacturing cost whichever is higher.
Ingredients for making non-alcoholic beverages would now be taxed at 12.5 per cent instead of the earlier 5 per cent.
Noting that taxes on lottery had not been increased in the last few years, Pawar said weekly lottery will now be taxed Rs 60,000, fortnightly lottery scheme or any lottery scheme between a week and a fortnight Rs 1.25 lakh, and monthly lottery or which exceeds fortnight Rs 2.5 lakh and bumper lottery Rs 12 lakh.
The budget also proposed increasing tax on gold, silver and jewellery made from these metals from one per cent to 1.10 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog