Maharashtra budget 2013: Ciggies, liquor, cosmetics to cost more
Mumbai: With large parts of Maharashtra reeling under severe drought, the state Budget presented today proposed hike in taxes on cigarette, tobacco, liquor, cosmetics and jewellery to mop up additional resources to fund relief efforts and meet the state`s development needs.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who holds the finance portfolio, presented a Rs 184.38 crore surplus budget that seeks to net an additional Rs 1150 crore through increase in taxes.
Presenting the budget proposals in the Legislative Assembly, Pawar said tax on cigarette will be raised from 20 per cent to 25 per cent and bidi from 5 per cent to 12.5 per cent. While 12.5 per cent tax on branded tobacco sold in pouches will remain unchanged, unmanufactured tobacco, which is hitherto tax free, would be taxed at 12.5 per cent.
The Minister also announced increase in excise duty on country liquor, Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) and strong beer.
Excise duty on country liquor has been raised from Rs 95 to Rs 110 Per Proof Litre (PPL), while on IMFL it has been hiked from Rs 240 to Rs 300 PPL.
Duty on strong beer has been raised from Rs 42 per bulk litre or 175 per cent of manufacturing cost whichever is higher, to Rs 60 per bulk litre or 200 per cent of the manufacturing cost whichever is higher.
Ingredients for making non-alcoholic beverages would now be taxed at 12.5 per cent instead of the earlier 5 per cent.
Noting that taxes on lottery had not been increased in the last few years, Pawar said weekly lottery will now be taxed Rs 60,000, fortnightly lottery scheme or any lottery scheme between a week and a fortnight Rs 1.25 lakh, and monthly lottery or which exceeds fortnight Rs 2.5 lakh and bumper lottery Rs 12 lakh.
The budget also proposed increasing tax on gold, silver and jewellery made from these metals from one per cent to 1.10 per cent.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know