Maharashtra bus accident toll rises to 27
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In a tragic development, a bus fell into a deep valley on the Mumbai-Nashik highway on Thursday killing at least 27 people.
As per reports, the state transport bus fell into the valley at Tokawade in Malsej Ghat after being rammed by a truck. However, some other reports said the driver of the bus lost control while negotiating a sharp turn.
So far, 27 of the 40-odd people travelling on the bus have been confirmed dead. But, the toll might go up as rescue operations progress, officials said.
Rescue operations are underway at the accident site, but the geographical location is hampering the work.
"The bus was headed towards Ahmednagar," District Disaster Control Officer Jaideep Visave said.
The injured are being rushed to hospitals at Murbad and Tokawade.
"The district headquarters got the message around 10.30 am and a team comprising police personnel, medical attendants and rescue workers was rushed to the spot. The number of casualties is not known immediately as the spot of the mishap lies deep into the valley," Visave said.
Malshej Ghat is a famous picnic spot located in the Sahyadri mountain range, situated on the border of Thane and Ahmednagar districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31