Maharashtra bus accident toll rises to 27
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In a tragic development, a bus fell into a deep valley on the Mumbai-Nashik highway on Thursday killing at least 27 people.
As per reports, the state transport bus fell into the valley at Tokawade in Malsej Ghat after being rammed by a truck. However, some other reports said the driver of the bus lost control while negotiating a sharp turn.
So far, 27 of the 40-odd people travelling on the bus have been confirmed dead. But, the toll might go up as rescue operations progress, officials said.
Rescue operations are underway at the accident site, but the geographical location is hampering the work.
"The bus was headed towards Ahmednagar," District Disaster Control Officer Jaideep Visave said.
The injured are being rushed to hospitals at Murbad and Tokawade.
"The district headquarters got the message around 10.30 am and a team comprising police personnel, medical attendants and rescue workers was rushed to the spot. The number of casualties is not known immediately as the spot of the mishap lies deep into the valley," Visave said.
Malshej Ghat is a famous picnic spot located in the Sahyadri mountain range, situated on the border of Thane and Ahmednagar districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?