Maharashtra bus accident toll rises to 27
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In a tragic development, a bus fell into a deep valley on the Mumbai-Nashik highway on Thursday killing at least 27 people.
As per reports, the state transport bus fell into the valley at Tokawade in Malsej Ghat after being rammed by a truck. However, some other reports said the driver of the bus lost control while negotiating a sharp turn.
So far, 27 of the 40-odd people travelling on the bus have been confirmed dead. But, the toll might go up as rescue operations progress, officials said.
Rescue operations are underway at the accident site, but the geographical location is hampering the work.
"The bus was headed towards Ahmednagar," District Disaster Control Officer Jaideep Visave said.
The injured are being rushed to hospitals at Murbad and Tokawade.
"The district headquarters got the message around 10.30 am and a team comprising police personnel, medical attendants and rescue workers was rushed to the spot. The number of casualties is not known immediately as the spot of the mishap lies deep into the valley," Visave said.
Malshej Ghat is a famous picnic spot located in the Sahyadri mountain range, situated on the border of Thane and Ahmednagar districts.
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on
- Funny video alert! ‘Housefull 3’ trio - Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan and Riteish Deshmukh - goes crazy
- Check jkbose.co.in for JKBOSE 12th Results 2016: Jammu and Kashmir Board Class 12 results declared
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today