Maharashtra cabinet approves Thane district division to create Palghar
Mumbai: Palghar is all set to be Maharashtra`s 36th district with the state cabinet today approving the long pending proposal to bifurcate Thane district.
Eight talukas of Palghar, Jawahar, Mokhada, Talasari, Vasai, Wada, Dahanu and Vikramgad will now form part of Palghar district. The new district headquarters will now be stationed at Palghar.
While Thane, Kalyan, Ambernath, Ulhasnagar, Bhiwandi, Murbad and Shahapur will continue to be part of Thane district.
The government will set aside Rs 450 crore to create infrastructure in Palghar and the new district will come into being from August 1, government sources said.
With the proposal for bifurcation of Thane district cleared, there were more demands for creation of new districts from within the cabinet, they said.
EGS minister Nitin Raut demanded new districts be created in Vidarbha as well for better governance. To which, it was decided to set up a committee to look into the demands and take decisions accordingly.
Thane district has seven municipal corporations and 24 MLAs and there has been demand for bifurcation of the district for better administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report