Maharashtra cabinet approves Thane district division to create Palghar
Mumbai: Palghar is all set to be Maharashtra`s 36th district with the state cabinet today approving the long pending proposal to bifurcate Thane district.
Eight talukas of Palghar, Jawahar, Mokhada, Talasari, Vasai, Wada, Dahanu and Vikramgad will now form part of Palghar district. The new district headquarters will now be stationed at Palghar.
While Thane, Kalyan, Ambernath, Ulhasnagar, Bhiwandi, Murbad and Shahapur will continue to be part of Thane district.
The government will set aside Rs 450 crore to create infrastructure in Palghar and the new district will come into being from August 1, government sources said.
With the proposal for bifurcation of Thane district cleared, there were more demands for creation of new districts from within the cabinet, they said.
EGS minister Nitin Raut demanded new districts be created in Vidarbha as well for better governance. To which, it was decided to set up a committee to look into the demands and take decisions accordingly.
Thane district has seven municipal corporations and 24 MLAs and there has been demand for bifurcation of the district for better administration.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS
- West Bengal polls: Bhawanipur to witness star-studded electoral battle
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures