Maharashtra cabinet sworn in, Chavan is CM
Mumbai: Ashok Chavan was on Saturday sworn in as the 21st Chief Minister of Maharashtra with his 38-member council of ministers, ending the fortnight-long political logjam with coalition partner NCP over portfolio distribution that delayed government formation.
The two-tier government has 27 cabinet ministers and 11
ministers of state. While 18 ministers are from the Congress,
Sharad Pawar-led NCP has 20.
Chavan, would-be deputy CM Chhagan Bhujbal and other
ministers were administered the oath of office by Governor S C
Jamir at Raj Bhawan lawn here.
Ministers of state in the outgoing government Naseem
Khan, Suresh Shetty and Hasan Mushrif were elevated to cabinet
Former ministers R R Patil, Rajendra Darda, Laxmanrao
Dhoble, Anil Deshmukh, Shivajirao Moghe and Jaidutt Kshirsagar
have made a comeback as cabinet ministers.
Cabinet ministers in the outgoing ministry who have been
dropped include Vijaysinh-Mohite Patil, Surupsinh Naik, Dilip
Walse Patil, Anees Ahmed, Vimal Mundada, Chandrakant Handore,
Nawab Malik, Vinay Kore, Rajendra Shingane, Raviseth Patil,
Madan Patil, Rameshchandra Bang and Dilip Deshmukh.
Eleven Ministers of State, including two women, were also
sworn-in. Fauzia Khan of NCP is an MLC and Varsha Gaikwad of
Congress is an MLA from Dharavi here.
Eleven ministers of state including two women Fauzia
Khan of NCP, an MLC, and Varsha Gaikwad of Congress were also
Except Ranjit Kamble and Vijay Waddetiwar of Congress,
all others--Bhaskar Jadhav, Prakash Solanki, Sachin Ahir,
Gulabrao Devkar (all NCP), Padmakar Walvi, Abdul Sattar,
Ramesh Bagwe (all Congress)--are new faces.
The installation of the new government was delayed as
Congress and NCP had been locked in hard bargaining over
sharing of key portfolios and number of ministerial berths for
While NCP had wanted the sharing of portfolios and berths
on the basis of 1999 formula when the two parties formed a
coalition government for the first time, Congress insisted on
a new yardstick in view of changed political realites after
the assembly poll this year which saw NCP`s relegation as the
number two in terms of number of seats secured.
However, the two parties wrapped up the power-sharing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September