Maharashtra Cabinet to take final decision on power tariff today?
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 06:29
  
Zee Media Bureau

Nagpur: The Maharashtra government may take a final call on the issue of reducing power tariff in Mumbai in its state Cabinet meet scheduled for Wednesday.

AICC Secretary and Mumbai North MP Sanjay Nirupam had recently undertaken a four-day hunger strike to demand reduction in power tariff in Mumbai.

On January 25, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar had said the state government has no direct role in fixing the power tariff and the responsibility lies with Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC).

PTI further quoted Pawar as saying that the state government is already reeling under financial burden up to Rs 15,000 crore on various subsidies in power bills.

In some parts of Mumbai, where electricity is supplied by Tatas, the tariff between 0 to 100 unit is less than the electricity supplied to backward Gadchiroli district, the minister had said.

To a query, Pawar had said the state government will have to shoulder an additional burden of Rs 8,400 crore annually on account of power tariff reduction up to to 20 percent.

The Maharashtra Cabinet had earlier this month decided that the concession of 20 percent power tariff cut would be applicable to consumers with consumption of less than 300 units.

The reduction in power tariff will not be applicable in the metropolis where players are other than MahaVitaran supply power. Mumbai consumers get power supply from Tata Power, Reliance Infrastructure and Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport undertaking.

(With PTI inputs)


First Published: Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 06:29


comments powered by Disqus