Maharashtra celebrates 51st anniversary
Mumbai: Maharashtra Sunday celebrated the 51st anniversary of the state`s formation with a variety of programmes and events. The main function was held at the Shivaji Park where Governor K. Sankaranarayanan unfurled the tricolour.
The governor also inspected a guard of honour and presided over the official celebrations. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his cabinet colleagues, legislators and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
The governor in his speech said that the first chief minister of the state, Y.B. Chavan envisioned a peaceful, stable and progressive state.
"It is reassuring to see his dream coming a reality," the governor noted.
Sankaranarayanan highlighted the state`s achievements in different spheres of life, including investments, education, women`s empowerment, a people-friendly administration and sports.
He also stressed the government`s efforts to make Maharashtra self-sufficient in electricity by December 2012.
He further highlighted the efforts to conserve the state`s natural wealth and biodiversity through the innovative "Eco-balance Village Development Campaign" that aims to promote sustainable development in 13,000 villages.
The state government has also initiated a process for computerisation of 27,920 village panchayats to ensure transparency and dynamism in rural administration in the remotest parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP