Maharashtra celebrates 51st anniversary
Mumbai: Maharashtra Sunday celebrated the 51st anniversary of the state`s formation with a variety of programmes and events. The main function was held at the Shivaji Park where Governor K. Sankaranarayanan unfurled the tricolour.
The governor also inspected a guard of honour and presided over the official celebrations. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his cabinet colleagues, legislators and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
The governor in his speech said that the first chief minister of the state, Y.B. Chavan envisioned a peaceful, stable and progressive state.
"It is reassuring to see his dream coming a reality," the governor noted.
Sankaranarayanan highlighted the state`s achievements in different spheres of life, including investments, education, women`s empowerment, a people-friendly administration and sports.
He also stressed the government`s efforts to make Maharashtra self-sufficient in electricity by December 2012.
He further highlighted the efforts to conserve the state`s natural wealth and biodiversity through the innovative "Eco-balance Village Development Campaign" that aims to promote sustainable development in 13,000 villages.
The state government has also initiated a process for computerisation of 27,920 village panchayats to ensure transparency and dynamism in rural administration in the remotest parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price