Maharashtra CM dedicates birthday to drought-hit people
Mumbai: There were no loud celebrations, crowds, garlands or parties to mark the birthday of Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan here on Sunday as he dedicated the day to the cause of drought-hit people in the state.
Congress MP from Konkan Nilesh Rane, who shares his birthday (March 17) with Chavan, marked the day by getting distributed water and fodder among the needy in Jalna district.
In view of the drought in around 12,000 villages, Chavan requested partymen not to spend anything for celebrating his birthday.
"Instead, the money spent on flowers, garlands, posters and banners can be donated to the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund which will go towards providing drought relief," an aide of Chavan told a news agency.
Supporters of Rane, the son of Industry Minister Narayan Rane, spent the day in Jalna district to celebrate his birthday.
"We supplied around 75 water tankers and several tonnes of fodder to the 20 worst-hit villages in Jalna district, covering 50,000 people," an aide of Rane told a news agency.
Rane has decided to adopt two villages - Chikangaon and Khedegaon - with a total population of around 3,500, he said.
The water availability in these villages is so bad that the government has been supplying tanker water for the past 18 months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder