Maharashtra CM dedicates birthday to drought-hit people
Mumbai: There were no loud celebrations, crowds, garlands or parties to mark the birthday of Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan here on Sunday as he dedicated the day to the cause of drought-hit people in the state.
Congress MP from Konkan Nilesh Rane, who shares his birthday (March 17) with Chavan, marked the day by getting distributed water and fodder among the needy in Jalna district.
In view of the drought in around 12,000 villages, Chavan requested partymen not to spend anything for celebrating his birthday.
"Instead, the money spent on flowers, garlands, posters and banners can be donated to the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund which will go towards providing drought relief," an aide of Chavan told a news agency.
Supporters of Rane, the son of Industry Minister Narayan Rane, spent the day in Jalna district to celebrate his birthday.
"We supplied around 75 water tankers and several tonnes of fodder to the 20 worst-hit villages in Jalna district, covering 50,000 people," an aide of Rane told a news agency.
Rane has decided to adopt two villages - Chikangaon and Khedegaon - with a total population of around 3,500, he said.
The water availability in these villages is so bad that the government has been supplying tanker water for the past 18 months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price