Maharashtra CM heckled by group for `delay` in passing Jan Lokpal Bill
Ahmednagar: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was heckled during a public meeting here today by a group of people who protested against the "delay" in passing in Parliament of Jan Lokpal Bill.
Congress and NCP had organised a joint public meeting ahead of the Ahmednagar Municipal Corporation elections to be held on December 15, where Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and other leaders were present.
According to police, over 300 agitators, believed to be supporters of anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare, had gathered at the public meeting at the Mahatma Gandhi Maidan.
"As soon as Chavan began his speech, the protesters showed black flags and raised slogans demanding early passage of the Jan Lokpal Bill," Police Inspector of Tofkhana police station Vijay Pawar said.
Around 60 agitators were taken into custody, Pawar said adding that they were later released.
Maharashtra Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, state NCP chief Bhaskar Jadhav, Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat, Agriculture minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil, Tribal Development Minister Madhukar Pichad were also present at the meeting.
- Electric transport policy on anvil for hilly terrains
- We bet you will find it uber-tough to correct these sentences!
- PM Narendra Modi to launch solar-powered e-boats on River Ganga in Varanasi
- 'DMK chief Karuna's sole aim to woo youth to see family rule continues'
- Why US President Barack Obama mocked Donald Trump at final correspondents' dinner