Maharashtra CM heckled by group for `delay` in passing Jan Lokpal Bill
Ahmednagar: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was heckled during a public meeting here today by a group of people who protested against the "delay" in passing in Parliament of Jan Lokpal Bill.
Congress and NCP had organised a joint public meeting ahead of the Ahmednagar Municipal Corporation elections to be held on December 15, where Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and other leaders were present.
According to police, over 300 agitators, believed to be supporters of anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare, had gathered at the public meeting at the Mahatma Gandhi Maidan.
"As soon as Chavan began his speech, the protesters showed black flags and raised slogans demanding early passage of the Jan Lokpal Bill," Police Inspector of Tofkhana police station Vijay Pawar said.
Around 60 agitators were taken into custody, Pawar said adding that they were later released.
Maharashtra Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, state NCP chief Bhaskar Jadhav, Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat, Agriculture minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil, Tribal Development Minister Madhukar Pichad were also present at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!