Maharashtra CM to meet Modi over border row with Karnataka
Palghar: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has said that he would meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi with a delegation from the state to discuss the border row with Karnataka.
Talking to reporters here yesterday, Chavan said the dispute was currently a subject of litigation in the Supreme Court, and, also, he had taken it up with his Karnataka counterpart.
The dispute is about Belgaum and certain other areas of Karnataka along the border with Maharashtra, which have a sizeable Marathi-speaking population, and which Maharashtra has been claiming since the formation of the two states.
The issue flared up recently when Karnataka police allegedly lathicharged pro-Maharashtra agitators at Yellur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump