Maharashtra CMs have rarely lasted full term
Mumbai: Completing a full term as Chief
Minister of Maharashtra has always eluded the incumbent leader due to various reasons from controversies to factionalism in the ruling party.
The latest being Ashok Chavan forced to step down after
he was linked to the Adarsh housing scam soon after completing
a year in office.
Ashok Chavan replaced Vilasrao Deshmukh who found himself
in trouble when his actor son and a filmmaker accompanied him
during a visit to Taj hotel, among the sites of the 26/11
Chavan was sworn in as the CM on December 4, 2008 cutting
short Deshmukh`s tenure and again took oath in November 7,
2009 after the Congress-NCP combine won the state polls.
Deshmukh served from October 18, 1999 to January 16,
2003 and November 1, 2004 to November 5, 2008 in his first and
second terms respectively.
Only Vasantrao Naik served the longest term of 12 years
as the CM from December 5, 1963 to February 20, 1975. But none
of the leaders have been able to break his record.
Manohar Joshi from Shiv Sena and Deshmukh fell short a
few months to complete the five years. However, Deshmukh`s
total tenure was of over seven years, as he became the CM
twice. Even then Congressman Sharad Pawar served for over
seven years as the CM but in three different terms.
Joshi was in CMO from March 14, 1995 to January 31, 1999.
He was forced to leave for allegedly being involved in
allotting a plot reserved for a primary school at Pune to his
developer son-in-law Girish Vyas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year