Maharashtra CMs have rarely lasted full term
Mumbai: Completing a full term as Chief
Minister of Maharashtra has always eluded the incumbent leader due to various reasons from controversies to factionalism in the ruling party.
The latest being Ashok Chavan forced to step down after
he was linked to the Adarsh housing scam soon after completing
a year in office.
Ashok Chavan replaced Vilasrao Deshmukh who found himself
in trouble when his actor son and a filmmaker accompanied him
during a visit to Taj hotel, among the sites of the 26/11
Chavan was sworn in as the CM on December 4, 2008 cutting
short Deshmukh`s tenure and again took oath in November 7,
2009 after the Congress-NCP combine won the state polls.
Deshmukh served from October 18, 1999 to January 16,
2003 and November 1, 2004 to November 5, 2008 in his first and
second terms respectively.
Only Vasantrao Naik served the longest term of 12 years
as the CM from December 5, 1963 to February 20, 1975. But none
of the leaders have been able to break his record.
Manohar Joshi from Shiv Sena and Deshmukh fell short a
few months to complete the five years. However, Deshmukh`s
total tenure was of over seven years, as he became the CM
twice. Even then Congressman Sharad Pawar served for over
seven years as the CM but in three different terms.
Joshi was in CMO from March 14, 1995 to January 31, 1999.
He was forced to leave for allegedly being involved in
allotting a plot reserved for a primary school at Pune to his
developer son-in-law Girish Vyas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues