Maharashtra CMs have rarely lasted full term
Mumbai: Completing a full term as Chief
Minister of Maharashtra has always eluded the incumbent leader due to various reasons from controversies to factionalism in the ruling party.
The latest being Ashok Chavan forced to step down after
he was linked to the Adarsh housing scam soon after completing
a year in office.
Ashok Chavan replaced Vilasrao Deshmukh who found himself
in trouble when his actor son and a filmmaker accompanied him
during a visit to Taj hotel, among the sites of the 26/11
Chavan was sworn in as the CM on December 4, 2008 cutting
short Deshmukh`s tenure and again took oath in November 7,
2009 after the Congress-NCP combine won the state polls.
Deshmukh served from October 18, 1999 to January 16,
2003 and November 1, 2004 to November 5, 2008 in his first and
second terms respectively.
Only Vasantrao Naik served the longest term of 12 years
as the CM from December 5, 1963 to February 20, 1975. But none
of the leaders have been able to break his record.
Manohar Joshi from Shiv Sena and Deshmukh fell short a
few months to complete the five years. However, Deshmukh`s
total tenure was of over seven years, as he became the CM
twice. Even then Congressman Sharad Pawar served for over
seven years as the CM but in three different terms.
Joshi was in CMO from March 14, 1995 to January 31, 1999.
He was forced to leave for allegedly being involved in
allotting a plot reserved for a primary school at Pune to his
developer son-in-law Girish Vyas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy