Maharashtra Cong leaders meet Rahul
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Saturday held deliberations with Congress leaders from Maharashtra on the strategy for Lok Sabha and Assembly elections at a time when the party is in a buoyant mood after the victory in Sangli civic body polls.
Several senior leaders, including Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, PCC president Manikrao Thakre, senior Maharashtra minister Narayan Rane were present at the meeting with the Congress Vice President.
Former chief minister Ashok Chavan, whose name is doing the rounds as next PCC chief, was also present so also AICC general secretaries Gurudas Kamat and Mukul Wasnik.
Union Minister Pratik Patil, who played a key role in the Sangli municipal corporation elections, was also present. Grandson of late chief minister Vasantdada Patil, Pratik is MP from Sangli.
In Sangli polls, Congress ousted Sharad Pawar`s NCP from power. After the result, a section of Congressmen have been advocating that Congress should go on its own in the state.
Some party leaders complained about the way NCP targetted Congress during the polls while some said a meeting of the Congress-NCP coordination committee should be held at the earliest.
Congress and NCP are sharing power in Maharashtra since 1999, a few months after Pawar had parted ways with Congress over the issue of Sonia Gandhi`s foreign origin. NCP is part of Congress-led UPA since 2004.
After the meeting, the Maharashtra Chief Minister called on Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown