Maharashtra Cong leaders meet Sonia
New Delhi: Top Congress leaders from
Maharashtra, including Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, today met
party chief Sonia Gandhi ahead of a crucial round of talks
with NCP to thrash out differences over seat-sharing for the
coming state Assembly polls.
The meeting took place in the backdrop of reports that
about a dozen seats have become the bones of contention
between the two parties seeking to firm up an alliance for the
Congress and NCP will meet tomorrow to iron out
differences over certain assembly seats to which both the
parties have staked claim.
Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and MPCC chief Manikrao
Thakre accompanied Chavan for the meeting with Gandhi.
Deshmukh had yesterday the two parties have already
finalized 95 per cent of the seats they would contest but
denied reports that the seat-sharing has been finalised in the
ratio of 174-114. "It would still require a couple of days to
finalise the arrangement for the October 13 polls," he said.
Chavan described today`s meeting with Gandhi as a
The meeting took place in the midst of the exercise of
scrutinising the candidates by the Central Screening Committee
of the party headed by senior leader Virendra Singh.
Meanwhile, senior Maharashtra minister Narayan Rane said
Congress would ensure the defeat of the Leader of the
Opposition and Shiv Sena leader Ramdas Kadam who has moved to
Guhagar constituency in Konkan region.
The fact that BJP has vacated Guhagar seat for Shiv Sena
showed that it had staged a "retreat," claimed Rane who hails
from Konkan region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH