Maharashtra: Congress to finalise list of ministers by Monday
Mumbai: With nine NCP ministers taking oath
of office along with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, all eyes are now on the
There is a scramble among Congress legislators for
ministerial berths, while those in the outgoing Ashok Chavan
cabinet are striving to retain their posts.
Ever since Prithviraj Chavan landed in Mumbai last
evening, aspirants have been meeting him to lobby for a place
in his government.
Congress sources said the party list is expected to be
finalised by Monday.
According to the sources, the primary issue of discussion
within the Congress is to take a decision on the number of
ministers to be included in the first list and then discuss
"We have to first take a decision on how many ministers
should be sworn-in in the first round and whether to keep some
portfolios vacant," a party leader said.
In the outgoing Ashok Chavan government, the Congress
strength was 18 ministers including the Chief Minister. The
party had 12 Cabinet ministers and six ministers of state.
It had three vacancies and the Congress had not gone for
an expansion of the ministry in the last one year.
NCP had 15 Cabinet ministers and five ministers of state.
The party had filled its quota of 20 ministers.
The strength of the ministry is 43.
The Chief Minister is likely to visit Delhi to discuss
the ministerial formation in the next two days, the sources
Tomorrow, he will visit State Congress and the Mumbai
unit offices to meet party workers.
Sources said there is pressure within the party to induct
"There is also a demand to review performance of each
minister and his contribution to the party as well as
development works in the state," they said.
Party legislators also understood to have complained to
Prithviraj Chavan about the working of senior ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre