Maharashtra: Congress to finalise list of ministers by Monday
Mumbai: With nine NCP ministers taking oath
of office along with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, all eyes are now on the
There is a scramble among Congress legislators for
ministerial berths, while those in the outgoing Ashok Chavan
cabinet are striving to retain their posts.
Ever since Prithviraj Chavan landed in Mumbai last
evening, aspirants have been meeting him to lobby for a place
in his government.
Congress sources said the party list is expected to be
finalised by Monday.
According to the sources, the primary issue of discussion
within the Congress is to take a decision on the number of
ministers to be included in the first list and then discuss
"We have to first take a decision on how many ministers
should be sworn-in in the first round and whether to keep some
portfolios vacant," a party leader said.
In the outgoing Ashok Chavan government, the Congress
strength was 18 ministers including the Chief Minister. The
party had 12 Cabinet ministers and six ministers of state.
It had three vacancies and the Congress had not gone for
an expansion of the ministry in the last one year.
NCP had 15 Cabinet ministers and five ministers of state.
The party had filled its quota of 20 ministers.
The strength of the ministry is 43.
The Chief Minister is likely to visit Delhi to discuss
the ministerial formation in the next two days, the sources
Tomorrow, he will visit State Congress and the Mumbai
unit offices to meet party workers.
Sources said there is pressure within the party to induct
"There is also a demand to review performance of each
minister and his contribution to the party as well as
development works in the state," they said.
Party legislators also understood to have complained to
Prithviraj Chavan about the working of senior ministers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive