Maharashtra Congress wants to contest 29 LS seats, ready to cede 19 to NCP
Mumbai: Citing its improved performance in Maharashtra, the state Congress today said it wanted to contest 29 Lok Sabha seats while it was ready to cede 19 seats to its alliance partner NCP. "Our performance had been improved in 2009 compared to 2004 (Lok Sabha elections). (On the basis of that) we deserve at least three seats more from the total seats we had contested in 2009. We have conveyed the 29:19 formula to the Centre," MPCC president Manikrao Thakre told reporters here.
The assertion on part of Congress is likely to increase the bickering between the two partners as the Sharad Pawar-led NCP had yesterday demanded that it wanted to contest 22 seats -- three seats more from its tally in 2009 -- and was ready to allocate 26 seats for Congress.
Senior NCP leader Bhaskarrao Jadhav yesterday claimed that the 26:22 formula, proposed by his party, was conveyed to the Congress high-command by NCP`s Central leadership.
Reacting to this, Thakre said, "NCP is making public statements on seat sharing out of frustration".
In 2009 elections, NCP had contested 22 seats and won eight while Congress fought from 26 seats and won 16.
"The seat-sharing issue would be decided in New Delhi. But we have presented our case to the high-command. Why the NCP is in so hurry on seat-sharing formula?," Thakre questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them